- Have no required length
- Have up to two single-digit indicators
- Identified by a three-digit numerical tag
- Have tag numbers in the range 0101-999
- Appear after the fixed fields
- Can be added or deleted
- Contain one or more subfields
- Can be reordered (moved)
Watch a video
Edit bibliographic data (10:35)
This video demonstrates the mechanics of editing bibliographic records in WorldShare Record Manager. Includes inserting, deleting, and moving fields; reformat; guided entry; MARC field help; validation.
Add a field in a MARC 21 record
- From the MARC 21 editor, click the field immediately above the location where you want to add a new field.
- Click the Add Field icon.
Copy and paste a variable field
You can copy and paste information from one field to another within the same record. If you want to copy information from one record and paste it into other records, use the field strings feature.
- From the MARC 21 editor, click the field you want to copy.
- Click Edit.
- From then Edit drop-down menu, select Copy Field from the Field flyout menu.
- Place your in the field that you want to paste the field information.
- Click Edit.
- From the Edit drop-down menu, select Paste Field from the Field flyout menu.
Copy and paste nonadjacent fields
You can copy and paste nonadjacent fields within the same record. If you want to copy information from one record and paste it into other records, use the field strings feature.
- From the MARC 21 editor, select the box beside each field you want to copy.
- Place your cursor in one of the selected field tags, right-click, and then select Copy from the Field flyout menu.
- Place your cursor in the field that you want to paste the field information.
- Right-click and then select Paste from the Field flyout menu. The nonadjacent fields are pasted adjacently in the record.
- If the row you selected contains data, it will be overwritten with the content from the first copies row. Any additional copied rows will be added as new rows.
- If the row you selected is blank, no content will be overwritten when you paste the copied rows.
Delete a field from a MARC 21 record
- From the MARC 21 editor, find the field you want to delete.
- Click the Delete Field icon.
Edit variable fields with guided entry
You can edit 336, 337, and 338 fields using the guided entry panel. When you expand the panel, it reveals the available form fields (text boxes and drop-down lists) that contain valid default data for creating the field or data from the existing field when editing the field. You cannot enter or edit text in the main field while the guided-entry panel is expanded.
- From the MARC 21 editor, click the arrow beside the variable field (336, 337, or 338) that you want to edit.
- Update any fields using the drop-down lists.
- Click Done.
Go to the electronic location in an 856 field
- From the MARC 21 editor, right-click field the 856 field that contains subfield $u.
- Select Display Web Page... from the Field flyout menu.
- If there is only one Web address, your browser opens a window and visits this Web address.
- If there are multiple Web addresses in subfield $u, a dialog box opens with a list of the Web addresses. You can then click one a link to open it in a new browser window.
Insert information from a cited record
You can insert information from a related record into any linking entry field.
Only OCLC control numbers can be used for this function.
- From the MARC 21 editor, add a new field to the record.
- Enter the following to the new field:
- Subfield (OCLC control number)
- Click Edit.
- From the Edit drop-down menu, select Insert from Cited Record from the Field flyout menu. Information from the related record will populate the field and a confirmation message appears which states that the information from the cited record has been inserted.
Move a variable field in a MARC 21 record
- From the MARC 21 editor, click the field that you want to move.
- Click the Move Up icon or Move Down icon to change the location of the field in the list of fields.
Unlink Non-Latin fields
When you have a MARC 21 bibliographic record or an LBD record that uses fields with both Latin and non-Latin scripts, the system automatically links two same-numbered fields where the field containing the information written in non-Latin script appears above the field with the information written in Latin script. This automatic linking occurs when the record is saved, replaced, reformatted, or validated. If you set or delete holdings, the automatic linking also occurs.
- From the MARC 21 editor, right-click the field that you want to unlink.
- Select Unlink Non-Latin Field. When you unlink the non-Latin field, a symbol appears that shows that the field are unlinked.
- If you do not want fields to be automatically linked, use the Move Up icon or Move Down icon to move the field containing the information in the non-Latin script so that it is not directly above the same-numbered field with the information in Latin script.
- (Optional). If you unlink a non-repeatable field, you will need to remove one of the instances of the same-numbered field.