When you set a WorldCat holding on a MARC 21 bibliographic record, you are adding your library's OCLC institution symbol to a bibliographic record and specifying that you own an item that is represented by the record. After setting a WorldCat holding, other users can see on WorldCat that the item is in your collection.
Set WorldCat holdings for a MARC 21 bibliographic record so that you can:
- Maintain your WorldCat holdings in WorldCat and archive records at OCLC
- Associate the record with your library; for example, because you have added the record to a local catalog
- From the MARC 21 editor, click Record.
- From the Record drop-down menu, select Set from the WorldCat Holding flyout menu. The system sets a WorldCat holding on the record.
- Optional. Validate the record. After the record has been validated, your institution's OCLC symbol is associated with the record and appears at the top of the record.