- OCLC services that provide files of MARC for download such as WorldShare Collection Manager, Collection Manager Cataloging Partners and others
OCLC “zips” (compresses) files of MARC records 7 days after they are made available for download. Compressed files are given the .zip extension but retain their original file name.
Follow the steps below to extract the MARC file from the Zipped one through a built-in utility in Windows:
- Download the file to your local computer.
- Bring the file up in Windows Explorer
- Right-mouse click on it
- Choose Extract All.
- The system will tell you where it is going to send the file and you can change that to where you want to send it.
- Click the Extract button to fully unzip the file for use.
It may be easier to drag the .zip file to your desktop and then open the unzipped file.
You may also like to use a free utility such as 7-Zip to unzip your downloaded files.
Also: you may access files available to you for download through WorldShare My Files or by SFTP access. For files older than 30 days, you will have a better experience using SFTP for accessing and downloading those files. Contact OCLC Support to obtain your SFTP password. You may prefer to use a free utility such as https://winscp.net/eng/download.php WinSCP for accessing your SFTP account.