How do I use MarcEdit to split a large MARC file into smaller files
- Files of MARC records are too large to easily manipulate
- WorldCat Collection Manager
- MarcEdit is a free, downloadable utility. We recommend using the most recent version. To download MarcEdit or upgrade to the newest version, click MarcEdit
- Once you have MarcEdit installed, go to your WorldShare> Collection Manager>My Files>Downloads page.
- Download your desired set of MARC records by clicking the download button.
- Find the file in your downloads folder or wherever you saved it. Double click to open in MarcEdit.
- The MarcTools window will then either pop open, or you’ll need to open your MARC file in MarcEdit> MarcTools
- When your MARC record file is open in MarcTools:
- Select and copy the string shown in the “Input File” box
- Select “MarcSplit” from the “Tools” menu in the MarcTools window
- Click in the “Source File” box and paste the string you copied in step 5.1
- Click on the folder icon to the right of the “Destination Folder” box, pick a place to put the split MARC record files
- Fill in the “Records Per File” box (maybe try 5000, you do not have to check the box number of files unless you would like to have a specific number of files created)
- Click the “Process” button
- Once this completes and it reports how many files it created, click the “Close” button
- That's it! Go to the destination folder and find your split MARC record files
MarcEdit is a free utility, not owned by OCLC. It is available for download.