About adding knowledge base collections
To see the collections in the global knowledge base, browse the collections available in the WorldCat knowledge base (updated monthly). Alternatively, perform a search in Collection Manager to return all available collections. Deselect My Selected Collections and click Search.
- When to select a knowledge base collection in full
Select a knowledge base collection in full if it is available in the global WorldCat knowledge base and matches your subscription.
- When to modify a collection to select your subset of titles
Modify a knowledge base collection if it is available in the global WorldCat knowledge base and your library subscribes to a subset of the titles in the collection.
Knowledge base collections in search results returned from a search in Collection Manager will be marked Customizable or Non-Customizable.
If your library subscribes to a subset of the titles in a collection and the collection is Customizable, you can modify the collection. You have the following options for selecting the collection:
- Select the collection as a whole
- Modify the title selections, coverage and other title data to match your library-specific holdings one title at a time within the interface or in bulk by modifying the KBART-formatted spreadsheet and uploading your modified file
If a collection in Non-Customizable, you have the following options for selecting the collection:
- Select the collection as a whole
Customizable and non-customizable collections and specific requirements for creating and sharing collections.You will be able to download a KBART-formatted spreadsheet of the title data for both Customizable and Non-Customizable collections. Find more information about
- When to create a knowledge base collection
If a collection your library needs is not already represented in the global WorldCat knowledge base data, create a knowledge base collection in Collection Manager using the steps on this page. For example, if your library has a niche or unique electronic collection, you can create the collection.
Find instructions to create knowledge base collections for print serials or represent databases:
For other methods to add knowledge base collections, see Choose a method to add or create a knowledge base collection.
Watch a video
Select and modify WorldCat knowledge base collections (19:51)
This video demonstrates how to use the WorldShare Collection Manager application to select and modify WorldCat knowledge base collections, as well as modifying these collections using the KBART file method.
Select a knowledge base collection in full
Search for a knowledge base collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Select a Scope from the drop-down list.
- Decide if you will limit your search:
- Leave My Selected Collections selected to search across your library-specific collections that you have created or selected
- Deselect My Selected Collections to search across items that are available in the global collections available in the WorldCat knowledge base. For example, deselect My Selected Collections to search for collections to add to your knowledge base
- In the Search Term(s) field, enter your terms or leave the field empty.
- Click Search.
View or download title information
To view the titles in the collection and compare them to those in your subscription:
- From the search results list, click on the name of the collection to open the collection.
- Expand the Titles accordion.
- You can view the titles in the following ways:
- View the titles in the interface, and/or
- Use the More Actions drop-down list to select Download.
For instructions to download the file, see the More Actions section of the Collection-level settings in knowledge base collections.
Select a collection
To select a collection in full:
- From the search results list, you will see collection data for each result such as: collection name, provider and the number of titles selected over the number of titles in the collection (For example: 0/2,519). On the right side of the screen will be a button to Select Collection (Libraries with WorldShare Acquisitions will see an Add to Order button.).
- Click Select Collection.
- After selecting the collection, a Locked for re-indexing message will appear to alert you that the titles in the collection are being indexed.
It can take up to 24 hours for re-indexing to complete and large files can take longer to process.