Create a non-MARC numeric search key collection to have OCLC use a simple list of data to match against WorldCat records for setting or canceling holdings.
- Do not add new lines. All text needs to be in one paragraph.
- Do not copy and paste text from Microsoft Word, email, a web browser, or other sources. Pasted text can contain hidden formatting codes.
You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted.
Create the collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Click Create a Collection.
- Select Data Sync Collection from the Collection Type drop-down list.
- Select Bibliographic or Delete WorldCat Holdings from the Data Sync Type drop-down list.
If you have already created a WorldCat Data Synchronization collection with the secondary collection type, the following warning appears:
An existing WorldCat Data Synchronization collection of this same type already exists. We recommend editing this existing collection; however, you can create a secondary collection type of the same type.
Generally, you will configure one collection for each type of data to be sent, making it easier to manage the process and maintain up-to-date holdings in WorldCat.
- Click Create. The accordions for this collection appear.
Complete the Properties and Contact Information accordions
The Properties accordion must be completed before you can save your progress when creating a collection. The information entered in the Contact Information accordion is required so that OCLC staff can contact you with questions about your collection. It is recommended that you add a contact before saving a collection.
Complete the Properties accordion
- Enter a Collection Name for your collection.
- Select No for Group.
- Select whether your institution is a WMS Library. WMS libraries have purchased the WorldShare Acquisitions and Circulation modules.
- The Collection Type drop-down list displays the collection type selected when the collection was created. If you would like to change the collection type, use the drop-down list to change your selection.
- Select Non-MARC for the Original Data Format.
- Select Yes for Numeric Search Keys for Holdings Maintenance Only.
You must send a .CSV file, encoded as UTF-8. Please see data requirements.
- (Optional). Enter a Description for the collection. The description field should be used anytime there is an exception or special consideration with your collection (e.g., setting up a collection to use OCLC number matching only). The exception or special condition should also be added as a comment in the Comments accordion.
Complete the Contact Information accordion
- Click Contact Information to open the accordion.
- Enter the contact's Last Name.
- Enter the contact's First Name.
- Enter the contact's Title.
- Enter the contact's Email Address.
- Click Save Progress.
When adding multiple contacts, use the Add button () to create additional rows. List contacts in order of priority.
Complete the Bibliographic Record Information accordion
- Click Bibliographic Record Information to open the accordion.
- For Initial Estimate of Record Count, enter the number of records that will be sent in the first file.
Complete the Comments accordion
The comments accordion allows you to communicate with OCLC staff about your Data Sync collection. It appears after you save your collection for the first time. OCLC staff can also communicate with you about your collection.
You would only complete the Comments accordion while creating a collection if you have a question or need to convey information not addressed in the collection.
Click Comments to open the accordion.
Add a comment to the list
- Click Add Comment. The Add Comment window opens.
- Enter a Topic for your comment.
- Enter a Comment about your collection.
- Click Add to save your comment to the list.
Once you have added your comment to the list, it cannot be edited or deleted.
View a comment in the list
- Click the Topic of the comment you wish to view.
- Click Close to return to the comment list.
Click Submit Collection.
You cannot delete a collection once it has been saved and/or submitted for review.
Email non-MARC data files
After you submit a non-MARC numeric search key collection, you will need to email your data files to OCLC.
Data requirements for non-MARC numeric search key collections before sending your data files.
- Create an email message.
- In the Subject line of the email include your OCLC institution symbol and collection ID.
- Attach your non-MARC patterned data files or your numeric search key files to the email.
- Do not include data or search keys in the body of the email.
- Do not send multiple email messages; attach all files to one message.
- Send the email with attachments to OCLC Batch Services at email@example.com.