Purpose of the Insert [or Edit] Field 541 [or 583] window
- Create a new 541 or 583 field (used most often for describing archival materials)
- Edit an existing 541 or 583 field
Access the Insert [or Edit] Field 541 [or 583] window
Edit an existing 541 or 583 field
- With the cursor in the field of a record you want to edit, click Edit > Guided Entry > Edit or press <Ctrl><Shift><S>. The guided entry window that opens contains the existing 541 or 583 data. If the cursor is not located in an 006, 541, or 583 field, you get an error message.
- (Optional) Change or select a privacy indicator for indicator 1.
- Click Add Subfield.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have added the subfields you want.
- Click OK.
Create a 541 or 583 field
- With the cursor in a field above where you want to insert a 541 or 583 field, click Edit > Guided Entry > 541 [or 583], or press <Alt><E><G><4> or <Alt><E><G><8>, respectively.
- (Optional) Select a privacy indicator for indicator 1.
- Follow steps 3-6 in the procedure above.
See more about how to create or edit a 541 or 583 field using Guided Entry.
Insert [or Edit] Field 541 [or 583] window: Features and buttons
|Feature||How to use|
|Privacy (Indicator 1) list||Select one of the following values:
|Subfield list||For the 541 or 583 field, lists all valid subfields with a brief description. Select a subfield you want to add to the list.
Note: Use the default complete list of valid subfields, or click to customize the list. If you customize the list, click and to switch from the complete list to the custom list or back, respectively.
|Data text field||Enter data for the selected subfield in the Subfield list. When you click Add, the subfield appears in the display box.
(Optional) Click Enter Diacritics to open the Enter Diacritics and Special Characters window.
|List of subfields you add or existing subfields||Displays subfields you add or subfields already in an existing 541 or 583 field.
To change the list, single-click in the list to select a subfield and then:
To edit a subfield, double-click the subfield in the list to place it in the Data box for editing. When finished editing, click Replace to re-add the edited subfield to the list.
|Button name||Click the button to...|
|MARC Field Help||Click to open your default browser to the description of field 541 or 583 in OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards, including detailed descriptions of each subfield.|
|Plus/minus buttons: and||Switch from the default, complete list of subfields to the custom list or back, respectively.|
|Customize list button:||Open the Customize List of Subfields window to change the list.|
|Add Subfield||Add a subfield you created or edited to the list display.|
|Enter Diacritics||Open the Enter Diacritics and Special Characters window to enter a diacritic or character in a search term.|
|Move Up||Move the subfield selected in the list of subfields you added up one position.|
|Move Down||Move the subfield selected in the list of subfields you added down one position.|
|Replace||Replace the subfield selected in the list with the changes you made in the Data box.|
|Delete||Delete the subfield selected in the display list.|
|OK||Insert the new 541 or 583 field in the record, or replace the existing 541 or 583 field with the edited field, and close the window.|
|Cancel||Cancel creating or editing a 541 or 583 field and close the window.|