I am seeing an "unknown barcode" error for an LHR that was deleted.
- We are trying to retrieve a document in our collection, but when we search with the barcode in Circulation > Discover Items > "Enter barcode", we get an "Unknown barcode" error.
- We checked the report for the Removed titles list for titles removed in the previous 3 years, and this title doesn't appear on it. We don't think this LHR was removed from our collection.
- We know the title that this should correspond to, but we don't know the OCN or LHR number associated to this item, or if this title is still in our collection.
- OR We have the LHR control number and have searched WorldShare Record Manager and can see the LHR there, but it still does not show up when searched in Circulation >Discover Items
- WorldShare Circulation
Note: Depending on overall system capacity, it can take several hours for a barcode deletion to be indexed into WMS. If you have recently made the LHR deletion, wait a bit before further troubleshooting.
An issue can happen when an item was deleted from WorldCat but WMS Circulation was not notified of the deletion. If several hours of system time does not resolve the issue, this could be a syncing problem. Here are the steps to correct that issue from inside WMS:
- Confirm that the item barcode is not assigned to an LHR in WorldCat by searching Discover Items > Local Holdings Records > My LHRs > Barcode
- If no results are found, recreate the LHR using the same item barcode and then delete the holding.
The item will be purged per your library's Deleted Items retention policy; the following week, the item will no longer appear on the weekly FTP inventory report.
Why am I receiving an "Unknown Barcode" error when searching for an existing or newly added barcoded item?