To access this screen, sign in Service Configuration, open the WMS Circulation left navigation, select Holds & Schedules, and then select the Default Locations link.
Use this screen to set the default location for special request holds.
Special requests allow patrons to ask for a specific item when they do not have enough information to select a specific copy or volume. For example, a patron wants the volume with the red cover but does not know if that is volume 1 or 2 of a set.
- The default holding and shelving location are required if your library uses special requests
- The default holding and shelving location will be used as the branch and shelving location associated with special requests on the Pull List, etc.
- Staff must select the appropriate barcoded item to fulfill the special request. For more information, see Pull list.
In WorldCat Discovery, patrons can place special requests by choosing the 'Special Requests' option.
If your library uses WorldCat Local and you would like to activate special requests at your institution, contact OCLC Support or your Implementation Manager. In WorldCat Local, patrons place special requests by choosing the 'Specific Copies or Volumes' option and then 'Other' from the list of items in the drop-down menu.
Default Locations fields
- Default Holding Location: Holding Code, as set on the Holding Codes Translation Table screen.
- Default Shelving Location: Shelving Location, as set on the Holding Codes Translation Table screen. If an item has a temporary and permanent location in WMS, the circulation policy will use the temporary location.