Release Date: December 14, 2017
This release of WorldShare Acquisitions provides 3 new features and enhancements in addition to numerous bug fixes. These features will help you manage more complex workflows, including:
- Automatic retrieval of vendor files for import (via secure FTP)
- Improvements to serials issue claiming
- View multiple budget periods in order item search
Many of these enhancements are the direct result of your feedback.
For this release, we recommend that you review the following checklists and complete the relevant tasks so that you can adjust your policies and workflows and train your staff. These checklists identify updates that we have determined as significant for most institutions. We encourage you to review all of the items in the release notes to determine whether there are other items that might require additional action or follow up by your institution.
These items require immediate action or decisions.
None at this time.
In an effort to keep your staff informed of new features and changes, you may also want to consider these items.
Set up automatic file retrieval and import for all vendors, including:
Begin claiming of serial issues, including:
New features and enhancements
Automated file retrieval and import
You can now configure the automatic retrieval and import of vendor files using any secure FTP protocol (SFTP or FTPS). This saves you the time and effort of manually retrieving these files and uploading them to WMS. Previously, you had to use your own FTP client to retrieve vendor files, download them to your computer, and then re-upload them to WMS. The new process saves you from all three of these steps.
To set up automatic retrieval of files, you will need to:
- Contact your vendor about enabling secure FTP access (SFTP or FTPS) and granting edit permissions to your existing FTP account. You will need both of these to automatically import vendor files. Once you have done this, your vendor will likely provide you with a new URL, username, and password for your secure FTP account.
- Enter your new secure FTP account information into the Links and Logins section for that vendor. (
The URL for the secure FTP account starts with sftp:// or ftps://.)
- Click the Jobs button within the new Automated Jobs section at the bottom of the left-hand menu.
- Click New Job button at the top of the page. This will open the New Job dialog.
- From within the New Job dialog, enter a Name for the job and select a Type. When done, click Save. This will take you to the Job Details screen.
- From the Job Details screen, you can edit all details of the job.
- You will need to enter the following information:
- Vendor (select from any vendor marked as In Use)
- Secure FTP Link (previously configured for this vendor)
- Source Folder (folder from which you want to retrieve files)
- File Type (can retrieve all files in this folder or only files with a specific file extension)
- Post Processing (you can choose to leave the files in the folder or move them to a new folder)
- In both cases, the file will be re-named.
- If you move the files, however, you will need to specify a folder to which to move the files.
- Options (these are the options for the specific import type)
- Schedule (you can select Weekly, Daily, Manual, and Inactive)
- If you select Manual, it will only run when you manually run it.
- If you leave Inactive, you cannot run the job at all, but the job details will be saved for running later.
- Notify (you can select the user you want to be notified of the import)
- Click Save to save the details of the Job.
- Click Run to run the job manually.
- Open the Activity Log accordion to view details about previously run instances of this job.
- Click Delete to delete the job when it is no longer needed.
- To search jobs, click again on the Jobs button.
- You can search for jobs by Name. You can also filter jobs by any of the following fields:
- Created By (user who created job)
- Schedule (daily, weekly, manual, inactive)
- Status (this is the status of the last instance of this job that was run)
- Date Created
- Last Run (date last run)
Improvements to serials claiming
You can now claim missing serial issues using more efficient workflows. You save time and effort in both searching for serial issues and selecting vendors through use of the following new features:
- Filtering by vendor
- Filtering by publication frequency
- Selecting vendor automatically when claiming
- Claiming issues from multiple vendors at the same time
Previously, you had to select the vendor for the serial issues you wanted to claim. Now, you can not only filter missing serial issues by both vendor and publication frequency, but the system will automatically select the vendor or vendors to which you want to send your claim. This saves the time and effort of selecting the vendor, not to mention allows you to set up saved serial issue searches that are more targeted and useful. Overall, claiming for serial issues has been made much simpler and more effective.
To claim serial issues, you will want to:
- Make sure you have placed orders for any serial subscription titles that you want to claim. Only serial issues that have active placed orders in Acquisitions will have a vendor on the Missing Issues page.
- Click on Missing Issues button under the Serial Issues section in the left-hand menu.
- Filter your missing issues by one of the filters at the top of the page.
- These filters include:
- Claiming Status (This should automatically be set to Available for Claiming.)
- Publication Frequency (This field is useful when choosing the days from the Expected Release Date. You may want to wait longer, for example, to claim quarterly publications than monthly publications.)
- Expected Release (You can set this to more than a certain number of days ago, e.g., 30, 60, or 90, depending on publication frequency.)
- First Received (You should assign a value to this filter if you only want to claim issues received by at least one other WMS library.)
- Claims (You can set this to 0 to 0 for first-time claims.)
- Last Claimed (You can assign this value if you want to view items previously claimed that you want to claim again.)
- Copies Received
- Vendor (If you want to use a different number of days past the Expected Release Date for different vendors, you can select a value here.)
- When you are done, you can even save this search for future reference. You can even save several different serial issue searches, e.g.
- Monthly issues to claim the first time from Vendor ABC
- Quarterly issues to claim the first time from All Vendors
- Issues to claim 20 days after first claim
- Select one or more issues to claim from your search. To select all issues, check the checkbox in the top-left of the search results table.
- Click the Claim button at the top of the page.
- Select Notify Vendor if you want to send this claim to the Vendor using WMS.
- If a single vendor is related to these issues, this vendor will be pre-filled for you. You can also choose to print or e-mail your claim message.
- If multiple vendors are related to the selected issues, this will be indicated in the dialog. However, you can only e-mail a claim to multiple vendors, not print claim messages. Additionally, there must be an e-mail address for every vendor in order to send these claims. Otherwise, an error displays.
- Additionally, if any of the issues do not have a vendor, you will not be able to submit the claim message to the vendors.
View two budget periods for an order item
You can now view both budget periods in the Budget Period column in the order item search, if the order item has two budgets. Previously, only one budget period was displaying, and you had to go to the order item details page to see both budgets.
Buttons anchored to top of order and invoice pages
The buttons at the top of the order and invoice pages now stay anchored to the top of these pages. Previously, these buttons would move out of the viewing area if you scrolled down the page. Now, they remain in the viewable area even if you scroll down to view items below the fold.
Claims filter working
The Claims filter is now working appropriately when trying to filter to serial issues with 0 claims. Previously, if you tried to filter to "0 to 0" claims, it would show some but not all issues with 0 claims. Now, all issues with 0 claims are shown.
Small wording changes
Several small wording changes were made to clarify the purpose and intent of various features. These include:
- "Display in WorldCat Local" was changed to "Display item in WorldCat" on the order item details page.
- "Purchasing Status" was renamed "Purchase Status" in the order item search.
- The value "No" in the "Purchase Status" column was changed to "Not Invoiced."
- The value "Kbwc collection" in the Resource Type filter was changed to "Knowledge base collection."
- The value "Kbwc title" in the Resource Type filter was changed to "Knowledge base title."
- The value "WorldCat" in the Resource Type filter was changed to "WorldCat record."
- The wording displayed when closing a budget was modified. It now says: "To close a budget, you must re-assign all unpaid items and templates that use this budget to the next budget. The list below includes all funds from this budget that are used by either an unpaid item (order or invoice) or an order item template."
EDIFACT invoice file processed when duplicate vendor order item numbers provided
You can now import an EDIFACT invoice file even if multiple items on the invoice have the same Vendor Order Item Number. Previously, if there were two items on the invoice with the same Vendor Order Item Number (RFF+SLI value), then the entire file would be rejected. Now, only those items with duplicate Vendor Order Item Numbers are rejected, and the rest of the file is processed appropriately.
CSV file now named correctly
When downloading the search results for the "One-Time Items" and "Subscription Items" pages, the resulting CSV is named correctly to the page name. Previously, it would download the correct data but label it "Missing Order Items."
Appropriate error message displays when editing Budgeted Amount
You now see the appropriate error message when attempting to edit the Budgeted Amount when the amount is less than the total encumbered and expended. Previously, you would receive a "stacktrace" error message with no details about the nature of the error.
None at this time.
Post release sessions
To help you become familiar with the new features, enhancements and improvements included in this release, there are [number of update sessions] update sessions scheduled. Please note the session time zones when registering. The sessions will be recorded and archived for future viewing on the OCLC Community Center. Please register, even if you are unable to attend, to receive a link to the recorded session.
WorldShare Management Services release update session
Date: Thursday, January 4, 2018, 12:00 pm, Eastern Standard Time (New York, GMT-05:00)