The MARC tools allow you to locate structural problems within your MARC exchange files and create comma-separated values (.csv) files of the contents.
Before you begin
The technology used to build the applications requires a C:\TEMP folder. Be certain this folder is present on your workstation. If it is not, you will need to create a new folder at the root of your C: drive, and then name the folder TEMP.
How to install
- Download the MARCTools.zip file to your workstation.
- Once it is downloaded, right-click the MARCTools.zip file. Select Extract All.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file to a suitable folder on your workstation.
How to use
- Drag a MARC exchange file, such as a Collection Manager .mrc file, onto the marcview.exe executable.
- A window will pop up showing the number of records found in the file and at least one file will be created.
- This new file will be placed next to the original .mrc file and will have a .txt extension for viewing in text editor software, for example, Notepad.
- If there are structural problems with the MARC file, two additional files will be created– one containing the erroneous records and a second .txt from an attempt to make them readable and describe the problems.
The marcfielddump.exe program is used to generate a comma-separated values (.csv) file of the contents of a specified tag and subfield from a .mrc file. Please contact OCLC Support if you need to use this executable.