►Searches > Titles
Many of the features in the general layout for books are shared in common with other material types, for example Names, Classes and Subjects. A number of tips are provided here highlighting differences for specific material types.
Note: Admin Client Defaults is where you can set the default Titles Media Type to the value that is useful for the majority of your catalogue records.
In the Titles domain when you click New Record in context the standard cataloguing form loads for the system default media type. For different types of material, change to the correct Media Type e.g. Journal, and a new layout automatically loads. Here are some examples:
This information is for journal titles and in OLIB these generally exist once, optionally with Issue records linked as the 'contents' of the parent journal title. The same journal title for cataloguing is also used when the serials management module is implemented.
Differences to note for Journals cataloguing:
- An ISSN is added by default, rather than an ISBN. An e-ISSN can be added here as well if required
- Normally the Name added will be a Corporate author – and commonly this field will often not be completed
- The Imprint statement will not include a date - the holdings details will accommodate that information
The e-Journal Link can be used to add a link to a website.
In Holdings information you can enter free text. To add the holdings information for a specific location click on Other Locations.
Edit the default Location if required. The holdings dates are entered through the calendar system.
Save the record as normal and repeat the process if sets are held at other locations.
Once all holdings have been added the record is displayed in the same way as copy records linked to a book.
This information assumes that the Issue containing the article has been checked in through the serials management system in the normal way.
First find the issue that contains the article to be catalogued. To do this change the standard title search to a Serial Issues by Serial Title search.
- Locate the issue record and switch to modify.
- Click on Articles. A title search will be loaded (to allow existing articles to be linked to a journal issue). In this case simply click New Record in context to obtain a page for cataloguing an article. The media type defaults to Serial Article.
- Enter the title, subtitle and authors as needed.
- Add pagination details to the Pages field.
- Use Date to add the publication data. The normal Imprint page loads - all except two fields should be ignored. Complete the Date and the Date(Sort) fields.
- Other fields - Subjects, etc. should be completed as required.
- Save the article record and repeat the process to add further articles to the issue record.
Change the Media Type to Video. If a variety of types of video are held then a Media Sub-type can also be chosen.
Differences to note for Videos:
- One of the major characteristics of a commercial video is the range of responsibility types which can apply, e.g. for a film the Director can be linked.
- The Physical information will be running time rather than pagination.
Catalogue a website
This is an example of how you can create a link to an electronic version of an item.
- After New Record change the Media Type to Web Page and a new layout is loaded.
- Enter the Site (Title) and Site Subtitle.
- In WWW Address click Add to complete the linked Object page.
- Change the Object Type to World Wide Web Page and alter Locate by to Textual.
- Enter the URL in Locator - paste in the URL from the actual site to avoid inaccuracies.
- Save the object link and complete the rest of the cataloguing as normal.
Note: for a web link to launch the full URL must be entered, including the http:// element.
The General - Maps layout is used here to illustrate these features. These include 034 Cartographic codes, 256 Cartographic mathematical data & Ordnance Survey grid co-ordinates.
- Select Map from Media Type and a new layout loads.
- Enter the title, subtitle and authors as normal.
- In Math. Data click Addto enter the scale and related information.
- The scale should be entered consistently without commas to ensure consistency in searching. The fields equate to the MARC subfield codes.
- Save the cartographic data details back onto the cataloguing sheet.
- In Cart. Codes click Add. to load the Codes details page. Multiple records can be created and saved here.
- Enter the first value required and select the type of code from the pull-down list. Save the record and if needed use a new blank page to enter the next value and repeat the process as necessary.
Note: in addition it is possible to add Ordnance Survey grid co-ordinates to the catalogue record. This may also be relevant to other media types (e.g. photographs) which need to be retrieved by location. The OS grid co-ordinates attributes can be added to the cartographic materials layouts for those libraries that require it.
Update Media Sub-type
From the Titles hit list it is possible to update the Media Sub-type of multiple Title records.
- Carry out a search to obtain the relevant records in the hitlist.
- Select the records whose Media Sub-type should be changed.
- In Other Actions select Update title media sub-type.
- OLIB displays a list of Media sub-types.
If you attempt to update with an incompatible sub-type, an error message informs you of this.
Clear Media Sub-type
Use the Clear option at the end of the above list if you wish to remove the Media Sub-type from the Title record(s).