►Cataloguing > Publishers
This information explains how to add publication details to a Title record. (Publishers and Suppliers are stored in the same file in OLIB, differentiated by Supplier Type. Suppliers are used in Acquisitions).
For publication details you can enter a simple single imprint statement to include Place, Publisher & date. Alternatively you can enter more complex details involving multiple places, publishers & dates. Publishers and Places are authority files.
Imprint (publication details): single imprint statement
For single imprint statements the first 3 fields - Publisher, Date, Place (optional) are used. The Date (sort) field must also be completed to allow filtering and sorting by publication date (if the data is entered correctly this field will populate automatically).
- With the Title record in modify mode click New in the Publication section. This displays the publication details screen and uses the type-ahead feature.
- In Publisher enter the first few letters of the publisher name. OLIB displays matches immediately in a drop down. Select the correct publisher from the list.
- If not found click the new record in context icon to display a new publisher page. In Name enter the new publisher. The Supplier Type defaults to Publisher. Click Save and Close.
- This returns you to the imprint record. Enter the Date in the normal YYYY format and [Return]. This automatically populates the Date (sort) field at the bottom of this screen with a date in the DD-MON-YYYY format. You can edit either of these dates. (Manual Yes/No: this relates to mismatches between formatted publication date (Date (sort)) and textual publication date (Date). See What is a valid date? below).
- In Place enter the first few letters of the place name. This is a type-ahead field, so OLIB displays matches immediately in a drop down. Select the correct place from the list.
- If not found click New Record in context icon to display a Place Details page. In Short / Long Description fields enter the new place name and optionally a MARC Country Code. (Favourite Sequence is only required if you implement place hints as described below, and in Additional Fields in Cataloguing). Save and Close the Place record.
- OLIB returns you to Publication Details. The Imprint statement is now complete. Click Save and Close to return to the working Title record, e.g:
London: Rough Guides, 2018
Imprint (publication details): multiple places, publishers & dates (optional)
If multiple publishers, places and dates are required the single imprint details are extended. Enter additional Publisher (2,3), Date (2,3) and Place (2,3) details in exactly the same way as for single imprint details. On completing the imprint details click Save and Close to return to the working Title record. The logic is that the fields entered display in sequence.
- Example 1 – Two places, one publisher, one date
Complete the Place, Place(2), Publisher(2) & Date(2) fields:
London; New York: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1990
- Example 2 – One place, three publishers, one date
Complete the Publisher, Place, Publisher(2), Publisher(3), Date (3) fields:
London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson; McGraw Hill; Butterworth, 2001
- Example 3 - Two places, two publishers, two dates
Complete the Publisher, Date, Place, Publisher(2), Date(2), Place(2):
London: Dent, 1951; New York: Dutton, 1952
Note: the first Date field you enter populates the Date(Sort) field automatically. This may require amendment for multiple imprint details. Date (Sort) enables filtering and sorting by publication date.
Type-ahead Publisher and Place fields?
The system manager can configure fields for Publisher and Place that use OLIB's latest type-ahead feature directly on the Title details layout. These can be added to any Titles cataloguing layout using Layout Manager. Add these attributes -
- Publisher Publisher Combo (ti_publisher_typeahead)
- Place Place Combo (ti_place_typeahead)
When implemented this is the workflow on the Title details sheet:
- In the Publication control, start typing the first few letters of the Place of Publication:
- OLIB immediately displays matches in an alphabetical list, that you can select from.
- Do the same for the Publisher Name.
Again, OLIB displays matches alphabetically. Select one and finish by entering the Date of Publication and click >> to complete the publication details entry:
Chicago : Kaplan Publishing, 2016
If the place, or publication name, does not exist, you can use the New Record in context icon at the side of the field. OLIB displays an input window to enter the new publisher / place records.
What is a valid date?
There is a set of rules around entering publication dates and you do not have to enter the full date. You can enter just the month and the year, or even just the year. The date you enter will also be stored in a formatted version for sorting purposes - Date (Sort).
If you enter just a year, the date that is actually stored will default to 01-JAN-YYYY. Similarly, if you enter just a month and a year, the date that is actually stored will default to 01-MON-YYYY.
You can just enter a 1- or 2-digit year. If you do, the stored date will default to 19YY if the number you enter is 50 or higher, and to 20YY if the number you enter is between 0 and 49.
If you need to enter a year between 1 AD and 9 AD, you should enter it as 000Y. Similarly, to enter a year between 10 AD and 99 AD, you should enter it as 00YY.
Note you cannot enter a date earlier than 01-JAN-0001 in these fields.
There are scripts available to report on mismatches between formatted publication date (Date (sort)) and textual publication date (Date) in Daystart Scripts.
If as a result of these scripts you do NOT want the dates in a specific record to be updated, set Manual Date=Yes. This means that you want to keep any discrepancy in the dates.
MARC tag 008
Using Layout Manager the system administrator can add fields to your Title publisher layout in order to assist with managing the date information that appears in MARC tag 008. The new fields to add are:
MARC21 Date Type (008/06)
MARC21 Date1, Date2 (for 008/07-10,11-14)
These are populated automatically when you enter the date information and the values are defaulted based on Media Type etc.
You can change the values that default so that the reprint year is represented in the second portion of the second attribute, and change the first attribute value (Date Type) accordingly.
OLIB will use the first such information found for the title from Title Publisher details, when carrying out the MARC export for the 008 tag.
The Places domain includes the MARC Country Code. This 3-character code will be included in positions 15-17 of Tag 008 when a title record is exported in MARC format.
Publisher / Place hints
OLIB includes configuration options to enable it to suggest publisher and/or places of publication based on the authors assigned to the title.
If this is configured on your system, when you use the Title Publication layout, the new fields will display in the layout:
Publisher Hints (drop down)
Place Hints (drop down)
The hints will be displayed when you click the drop down.
Suggested and Favourite Publishers / Places appear, depending on how the system manager configures this using Layout Manager.
MARC21 Second Indicator
This field is not included in the standard layout, if it is required it should be added using Layout Manager.
OLIB's MARC import/export processes handle the 264 tag. The system manager may add a field for the second indicator to the Titles Publication layout, for manual cataloguing purposes. The catalogue record would then be exported with a 264 tag that includes the correct Second Indicator value.
Choose the relevant value from the drop down list:
Function of entity
0 - Production
1 - Publication
2 - Distribution
3 - Manufacture
4 - Copyright notice date
The MARC21 export will assign tag 264 as there is no overlap between valid indicator values for 260 vs 264 in this position.