This procedure applies to checking in or scanning through the returns module any items that have been set up with a Master-Subsidiary relationship (for example, kits with several parts or boxes of books and other library items).To set this up, refer to the Master-Subsidiary “How-to document”.
- Launch the Amlib client
- Go to Main > Supervisor > Installation – the Installation table will display
- Click the Circulation button. The Circulation set of parameters will display
- The parameter can be set to either show the list of subsidiary items, or to just return all items together without a prompt. If you wish to see the list of subsidiary items at returns, this parameter must be switched to ‘Y’
- Make sure you also check the installation pages for your location.
Returning the Master Item
- From the Main>Circulation>Returns, return the box or master item.
- If the Show …. Parameter is set to Y, the Subsidiary Return Check window will display
- To return only some parts of the box or set, click ‘No’. A list of the parts or contents of the box will display. Use the list to check if all contents are present. If not, use the options on the screen (pictured below) to process these items according to your library procedures.
The system will check in/return any items with a Y in this column.
If items are present, they can be checked in and those not present are marked with an ‘N’ so they remain checked out and undergo normal overdue processes.
Alternatively, all items may be checked in (mark items with a Y in this column) and a process code may be used instead.
A memo will be added to those items marked with a ‘Y’ in this column.
A standard memo for bulk loans may be added to those items that are not present – to indicate what set they were originally loaned in, and that the parts had not been returned.
Memo Type Text
Information contained in these fields will determine the memo placed on selected items. A memo type can be selected from the list of Memo Types. Additional or alternative text can be added in the text field.
A memo type of ‘Bulk loan’ may have been created and selected in this screen. The text may include the details of the set that was originally loaned out.
A process code will be added to any items with a ‘Y’ in this column.
Items may have a process of ‘missing part’ to indicate on the catalogue that they are part of set that is now incomplete.
A process code can be entered in this field to be automatically added to
items with a ‘Y’ in the ‘Add process’ column.
If set to ‘Y’ a message will display at issues if the item is checked out to another borrower, to alert the operator to the process code on the item.
A message will appear at the issues screen to indicate that the item has a process code (see screen shot below). Click on Ok to go ahead with the issue.
If set to Y, the item will show on the OPAC.
If the item is missing, setting the OPAC to N will mean that library users will not see the item displayed and this will prevent them from asking for an item that is not available.
If set to Y, this will allow the item to be borrowed if presented at the circulation counter.
For missing items or parts of a set, this may be set to N to stop the item from being borrowed until the process code is removed or the item is returned to its set.
- Once the columns and fields are filled in as required, click on the green OK button at the bottom of the screen.
- Items that were marked as ‘Y’ for return will display on the returns screen.
- If some items were marked as ‘N’ for return, these will display as on loan to the original borrower.
- Items that were marked with a Y for process code, will contain the process as set, which will display in the Stockitem record.
- If items were marked with a Y for memo, the memo will display on the stockitem record.
Returning Multi-Part Items with parameter to set to N to Not Show Subsidiary Items as a Default
This procedure applies to returning any items that have been set up with a Master-Subsidiary relationship (for example: kits with several parts or boxes of books and other library items).
- When returning an item – a prompt will display with the following message: This is a Master Item . Return All Parts
- To check all items in:
- Click the Yes button and the returned item will display in the returns screen
- To return only some parts of the box or set:
- Click the No button – a list of the parts or contents of the box will display:
Use the list to check if all contents are present. If not, use the options on the screen (pictured above) to process these items according to your library procedures:
- Items that were marked as Y for Return will display on the returns screen
- If some items were marked as N for Return, these will display as on loan to the original borrower
- Items that were marked with a Y for Process Code, will contain the process as set which will display in the stockitem record
- If items were marked with a Y for Memo Type, the memo will display on the stockitem record
- Once the columns and fields are filled in as required, click on the green OK button at the bottom of the screen