Use this screen to update your banner, custom links and display settings. Indicate if and where you would like to change the default settings. Guidelines for formatting are provided where necessary.
After making changes to the sections described below, click Cancel to start over, or Save Changes to save and continue.
Your WorldCat.org URL
Review your URL(s). Your institution's URL qualifier can be used for multiple services. If it is acceptable as is, go on to Customize the banner (optional). If you would like to change the URL, send a request (include your institution's registry ID) to firstname.lastname@example.org or call OCLC at 1-800-848-5800.
- Institution Name: This name will appear in the "Libraries that own this item" line on the search results, in scoping drop-downs, and in the detailed item view where availability is shown. This name is configured in the Relevancy and Scoping module under Display name.
- WorldCat.org Redirect: Check this box to automatically redirect WorldCat.org users to your WorldCat Local or WorldCat Discovery URL when they go to a record on www.worldcat.org.
- To redirect your WorldCat Local URL to your WorldCat Discovery URL, select the option to Redirect WorldCat Local permanent/bookmarked links to WorldCat Discovery.
Users must be IP authenticated to your institution.
Select the language that displays for the logo, buttons, and labels in WorldCat Local. The default language is English.
Only certain options are available at this time. More options will be made available in future releases.
General Display Settings
Select default search behavior
Choose whether or not to add full text to your default search behavior in WorldCat Local. Adding this feature will result in additional search options for full text under Advanced Search.
The full text fields will only display for databases which support full text.
Display buying options
Buy It is an optional feature that provides an additional delivery method for your users. Turning on Display buying options allows your patrons the option to purchase titles that are available via Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, Better World Books, Baker & Taylor, and British Library. The Buy it link is determined by ISBN.
Display Course Reserves
If you are using WorldCat Discovery or WorldShare Management Services to manage Course Reserves, see Course Reserves in WorldCat Discovery Services.
If you are using WorldCat Local to manage Course Reserves, activating the Course Reserves link allows your patrons to search for courses and reserved materials in your collection. Course Reserves appears under the Search drop-down menu in WorldCat Local.
There are two levels of permissions in Course Reserves:
- Manager—create/edit/delete courses and titles in courses
- Maintainer—add/remove titles to existing courses
To create and maintain courses, you will need to sign into your WorldCat.org account in WorldCat Local. Libraries with access to OCLC Service Configuration will have access to the Manager role in Course Reserves. If you experience any issues logging in, or with your ability to create and/or manage course reserves after logging in, contact email@example.com for assistance. Include your institution’s OCLC symbol when submitting your request.Similarly, if you would like to request access for other users at your institution, you may also do so by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Branding & Customization
|Logo image URL||
If your WorldCat.org currently does not have a logo image, or if you would like to replace the current logo image, provide a URL to an image of your institution’s logo. The URL must be no longer than 255 characters. The logo image also cannot exceed 80 pixels in height and 275 pixels in width. Match the background color of this image to your logo background color to mimic a screen-width banner.
For the best user experience, we recommend configuring a secure image (beginning with "https://”). If the logo image uses “http://” but your user is accessing your WorldCat Local URL via a secured URL, the logo image will not display in the header. In this case, users will see your text from the Alt-text for the logo field in place of the logo image.
After adding your logo, click test URL to confirm your choice.
|Home page URL||Type the URL for the page where the user is sent when they click the logo image.|
|Logo alternative text||
Type text that will appear when the cursor hovers over the logo.
Make sure that the colors used for Alt-text for the logo and Text to appear with logo are descriptive, and the colors are a good combination with the banner color.
Choose up to 7 custom links to appear in the banner. Provide the URLs, link type and accompanying text for up to 7 custom web links (e.g., links leading to your library home page, Ask a Librarian, or the patron account)
There is a 25 character limit on the text for each link.
If you wish to allow remote access outside your IP address, one of your custom links must be to your remote access page, and you must choose remote access login as the link type.
|Custom link||How to configure|
|Custom link: Display Chat Widget||
Create this link if you want to provide a link to a chat widget.
You must use Custom link 1. The chat widget will open in a new window when the Chat link is clicked in WorldCat Local.
Note: The recommended size for the widget is 185 pixels wide x 275 pixels high. URLs referenced within the chat widget code must utilize HTTPS to avoid mixed content warnings raised by most modern web browsers, which could render the chat widget inoperable.
|Custom link: A to Z list||
Create this link to allow patrons to discover electronic journals held within the WorldCat knowledge base.
|Custom link: Proxy||
Create this link if you have a proxy service that allows off-site users outside your IP address to access restricted library content and services.
Use Custom link 3 to configure the remote access login custom link.
When a resource is selected that requires remote authentication, patrons will see a box that says Authentication Required and includes a link to sign in.
For more information, see EZproxy documentation. If your library's authentication is managed through a service other than EZproxy, you will want to confirm the URL format with the proxy vendor.
Availability Column Labels (WorldCat Local)
Column labels for availability information in WorldCat Local are customizable. The default column labels shown will display if these fields are not changed.
To change the column labels for physical availability, type the desired label name in each field.
Authentication Prompt for Restricted Content
(Only applicable for WMS, WorldCat Local, and WorldCat Discovery institutions using the remote database search option)
A prompt will appear when the user attempts to view records in WorldCat Local that require authentication. You can customize the text that appears in the prompt.Use the default text, or customize your text by clicking Use custom text.
When default text is selected, the fields under Use custom text are not editable.
- Message: Type a custom message about your authentication process. There is a 300-character limit in this field. Do not use line breaks, carriage returns or special characters.
- Remote login button text: This button will always take the user to the remote access link defined in the custom web links. There is a 70-character limit.
- Link text to unauthenticated searching: This link will only display when the user is attempting to view search results that have a mixture of restricted and unrestricted searching. There is a 120-character limit.
- Other links: Show other links, such as a link to the Advanced Search screen or previous screen.
Example of the default prompt text:
Customize WMS Sign In Labels
Use these fields to customize the labels for your WMS Sign In screen.
- Custom WMS "User Name" label: Provide a label for the User Name field on your WMS Sign In screen.
- Custom WMS "Password" label: Provide a label for the Password field on your WMS Sign In screen.
- Forgot Password text: Use the default text, or customize your text by typing over the text. There is a 255 character limit.