Release Date: June 29, 2020
This release of WorldCat Discovery features 2 new enhancements, including:
- Moving the location of service configuration for French Boolean Operators
- Updated default settings for Search Expansion
Many of these enhancements are the direct result of your feedback.
For this release, we recommend that you review the following enhancements and adjust your policies and workflows to train your staff accordingly.
These items require immediate action or decisions.
|There are no administrative actions at this time.|
In an effort to keep your staff informed of new features and changes, you may also want to consider these items.
|There are no follow-up actions at this time.|
New features and enhancements
French Boolean Operators
The Service Configuration location for French Boolean Operators is moving from WorldCat.org/config>WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local>User Interface Settings >Search Language Options to a new location WorldCat.org/config>WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat Local>Search Settings>Search Defaults.
- The default for this setting will be off for all institutions that did not have this configured.
- For institutions that did have this enabled, it will be turned on and saved.
- The functionality in WorldCat Discovery has not changed and users will be able to use these French Boolean operators in their searches.
Update defaults for Search Expansion
In the May release we updated the default settings for Search Expansion to authority data so every institution could take advantage of the new feature. Unfortunately, we did not share this in May’s release notes. We apologize if this caused an inconvenience for any institution that may have already chosen to turn it off. As a reminder, this is how use of authority data looks when turned on:
This is a list of new databases added to WorldCat Discovery, WorldCat Local and WorldCat.org since our last update.
You can enable these databases as search options in the Licensed Content and Databases module of the OCLC Service Configuration site. Please remember that your library must have a valid subscription to these databases in order to enable them.
The complete list of databases is available at https://help.oclc.org/@api/deki/files/6370/contentlisttargetID.xlsx
Available in WorldCat Discovery and WorldCat.org
From Alexander Street:
- Nursing Education in Video: Third Edition, An up-to-date collection of demonstration and training videos designed to help students improve their clinical skills.
- Women and Social Movements in the United States,1600-2000, edited by Judy Tzu-Chun Wu and Rebecca Plant, Fall 2019-Spring 2020: The database brings together innovative scholarship, primary documents, books, images, essays, book and website reviews, teaching tools, and more.
From Begell House Inc:
- Begell Digital Library: The Begell Digital Library (BDL) includes peer reviewed journals, multimedia reference works, proceedings, and eBooks in the fields of engineering and biomedical sciences.
From Knowledge World Company for Digital Content:
- e-Marefa Database: A leading and integrated Arab database of full-text & comprehensive metadata that contains records from academic journals, articles, theses, dissertations, e-books, book reviews, statistical reports, research abstracts, and conference proceedings, covering all disciplines and fields.
From The Royal Society:
- The Royal Society Journals: Our international, peer reviewed journals publish high quality science and provide an excellent service to our authors and readers.
From Trans Tech Publications:
- Scientific.Net: Publisher in Materials Science & Engineering.
More product information can be found here.