What is QuestionPoint?
QuestionPoint is a service that many libraries use to help them answer questions for their patrons.
QuestionPoint automatically creates an account for you the first time that you ask a librarian a question. Your account is based on the email address that you provided when you asked your question. The initial password for your account is sent to that email address.
Your account contains your questions and the librarian's answers.
Why did the QuestionPoint Patron Logon page appear in my chat session with a librarian?
It appeared because your chat session ended unexpectedly when your communication connection with the librarian stopped working. When this happens, the QuestionPoint service displays the logon page for your patron account.
If the logon page appears, try one of the following suggestions if you provided your email address at the beginning of the session:
- Wait for the service to send you an email message containing the transcript of your session. The message may also contain additional information from the librarian. You may need to wait a few hours for the message to arrive.
- Log on to your patron account to view the transcript of your session and to check for additional information from the librarian. If an [In Progress] label appears with the entry for your transcript, you may need to wait a few hours to view the transcript.
- Return to the chat request form and submit a new chat request. (You may be able to use your browser's Back button to return to the form.) If you cannot return to the form, see How can I contact my library? for assistance.
If you did not provide your email address at the beginning of the session, return to the chat request form and submit a new chat request. (You may be able to use your browser's Back button to return to the form.) If you cannot return to the form, see How can I contact my library? for assistance.
When you chat with a librarian again, follow these tips to keep your communication connection working:
- Follow your library's instructions for chatting with a librarian.
- Do not navigate away from the chat window during the session.
- When you finish the chat session, click Exit before you close the chat window or navigate away from it.
Must I log on to my account to receive my answer?
No, your answer will also be sent to your email address.
However, you can log on to check the status of your question or review the answers to other questions that you asked recently.
Why can't I log on?
Here are some suggestions that may help you log on:
- If the logon page asks for your email address, be sure to use the same address that you provided when you asked your question
- If you are using the initial password sent to your email address, copy the password from the email message and paste it into the Password box on the logon page. The password may have letters that look like numbers or numbers that look like letters.
If none of these suggestions help you, contact your library for assistance.
What is my password?
QuestionPoint can send your password to your email address.
- On the Patron Logon page, click Click Here (Forgot your password?).
- Type the email address that you provided when you asked your question and click Submit.
- Go to that email account to receive the message containing your password.
Why must I change my password after I log on?
The first time you log on to your account, you must use the password emailed to you by QuestionPoint. After the first log on, you are required to change the initial password to one of your own choosing that will be easier for you to remember. You may use letters or numbers in your password.
Because the password is case-sensitive, you must use the same case when you log on in the future that you use when you change your password. You may use capital letters only, lower-case letters only, or a combination of both.
How can I change my password for the account?
Click the Password link at the top of any page in the account if you want to change your password.
When will I receive the answer to my question?
If you chatted online with a librarian, you should receive the chat transcript soon after the chat session ends. The transcript is sent in an email message and is also included on the My Response page in your account.
If you sent your question to your library on a question form, the library's web page may say how long responses usually take. In some cases, a response may take a few days.
How can I contact my library?
Go to your library's web site and follow the instructions there to ask a new question or to request assistance for a previous question.
If you received an email message about your question, the message may contain information about contacting your library.
If you need help finding your library's web site, try this list of library web sites.
If you request assistance for a previous question, provide as much of the following information as you can:
- The question ID number of your question. The number appears in your account in the ? ID column of a question list, above the question on the My Response page, and in any email message that you receive about the question.
- Your name
- Your current email address
- The email address that you provided when you asked the question if it differs from your current email address
- Your question or a brief summary of your question
- The date and time when you asked your question. The date and time appears in your account in the Time/Date column and below the question on the My Response page.
- The name of your library. The library (institution) name appears in your account below the question on the My Response page.
How can I send a message from my account to the librarian?
You can send a message about a question from your account to the librarian. However, the librarian's response may take a few days.
In your message to the librarian, provide your current email address if it differs from the email address that you provided when you asked the question.
To send a message from your account:
- Click on a question in the question list to go to the My Response page.
- Enter your message in the text box at the bottom of the My Response page.
- Click Send Response below the box.
How can I ask another question?
To ask another question, contact your library.
How can I change my email address for my account?
You cannot change the email address for your account.
However, if you use your new address when you ask another question, QuestionPoint will create an account for the new address. Only the questions that you ask with the new address will appear in the new account.
How can I cancel my account or unsubscribe?
You cannot cancel your account or unsubscribe.
However, you only receive messages about your questions, and you do not receive messages after your question is answered.
How can I change my name as it appears in the account?
Click the Settings link at the top of any page in the account if you want to change your name.
Where is the transcript of my chat session?
If you did not receive the transcript in an email message soon after the chat session or it is not included in the Question History on the My Response page, you may want to contact your library or send a message from your account to the librarian.
What does "[In Progress] Chat Transcript" mean in my account?
The [In Progress] label in front of the entry for a chat transcript indicates that the transcript is not yet available for you to view. You may need to wait a few hours before you can view it. Click the Update List button at the bottom of the page to refresh the list and see if the label has been removed.
The [In Progress] label does not appear and you can access the transcript immediately after a chat session if you click Exit in the chat window when you finish the session. If you do not click Exit, you can access the transcript after the librarian clicks Exit in his or her chat window. If neither of you clicks Exit, the service removes the label one to two hours after the session began so you can access the transcript.
If you need assistance, contact your library.
What do I do if my question was referred to another library?
There is nothing you need to do if your question is referred to another library. You should receive a response to your question in an email message. The response may also appear in your account. If you want to check on the response, contact your library or send a message from your account to the librarian.
How long does my question remain in my account?
Your question remains in your account for about 90 days. Then QuestionPoint automatically deletes it.