When a patron submits a request for a chat session through a chat form, the patron chat window opens:
- The Viewport (page viewing area) appears on the right. (No Viewport appears if the patron is using the Chat-only form.)
- On the left, a greeting appears with the patron's name and e-mail address (if the patron provided them on the chat request form.)
- The following Thank You message appears below the greeting: "Thank you for your question. There may be a brief delay while we connect you to a librarian. While you wait, can you provide any more information about your question..."
- The transcript appears below the message.
- At the bottom, a text box is provided for entering messages. A Send button appears to the right of the text box.
- The following links appear below the text box: Preferences (message chime and display settings), Help, and Exit Chat.
The patron can send a message while waiting for a librarian to join the session. Any patron message is added to the transcript.
When a librarian joins the session:
- The Thank You message is removed.
- A message is added to the transcript to indicate that a librarian joined the session.
For information about what the patron sees when using the Qwidget, see Chat with a librarian using the Qwidget.