Because QuestionPoint lets your library manage questions that are received in various ways, your library can:
- Maintain its current reference service and build its vision of future service
- Maintain its current cooperative reference arrangements and build new ones
|your library can receive and manage questions||If your library|
|Submitted on its question form||Places a QuestionPoint question form on its web site|
|Asked during chat sessions with its patrons||Places a QuestionPoint chat form on its web site and monitors chat requests|
|Asked by patrons at its reference desk, over the telephone, in an e-mail message, or in any other way||Adds these questions manually in QuestionPoint|
|Referred to it by another library||Participates in a referral group|
|Submitted on the question form of another library||Participates in a web-form coverage group|
Receive questions on question form
Your library can place a QuestionPoint question form on its web site to let patrons submit questions when they visit the site.
QuestionPoint automatically receives and acknowledges each question submitted on the form.
QuestionPoint gives each question the following status: New ()
QuestionPoint places each question in the following question lists:
QuestionPoint assigns each question in one of the following ways:
- Automatically. QuestionPoint automatically assigns the question to a librarian or administrator based on assignment information that your library includes with its question form and on options that your institution administrator sets in QuestionPoint (Administration > Institution > Settings > Web Form Assignment).
- Unassigned. QuestionPoint leaves the question unassigned if your library does not include assignment information with the question form and set the related options.
QuestionPoint notifies your library of each question in one of the following ways:
- If QuestionPoint assigns the question automatically, it sends an e-mail notice to the assignee's e-mail address.
- If QuestionPoint leaves the question unassigned, it sends an e-mail notice to the E-mail Question Notification address, if any, specified by your institution administrator (Administration > Institution > Settings > E-mail Notification).
When a patron submits a question, QuestionPoint:
- Displays the acknowledgement page for the patron.
- Sends one of the following messages to the patron's e-mail address:
- The new account message, if the patron did not have a patron account.
- The new question message, if the patron already had a patron account.
Your institution administrator can customize the acknowledgement page and e-mail messages (Administration > Institution > Settings > Custom Messages).
QuestionPoint updates the patron's QuestionPoint account in the Patron Interface as follows:
- It creates an account for the patron if there was no account for the e-mail address submitted with the question.
- It places the question in the account's unanswered questions list.
Receive questions added manually
You can manually add questions in QuestionPoint (Ask > Add Question) to manage questions that patrons ask:
- At your library's reference desk
- Over the telephone
- In an e-mail message
- In any other way not received automatically in QuestionPoint
You can also add a question manually in situations such as the following:
- 2 or more questions were asked on a single question form or during a single chat session. You want to manage and respond to each question separately. So you add each question manually in QuestionPoint. Then you ask your institution administrator to delete the original Full Question record that contains multiple questions.
- You learn that a Full Question record contains an incorrect patron e-mail address or other incorrect information. So you add a question manually that contains the correct information. Then you ask your institution administrator to delete the original Full Question record.
Status, Question lists, Assignment
When you add a question manually in QuestionPoint, you set its status. The status determines the question lists in which the question is placed and the assignment of the question.
|if you set this status||questionpoint places the question in these lists||with this assignment|
|Assigned to you|
|Assigned to you|
||Closed||Assigned to you|
QuestionPoint does not send an e-mail notice to you or your library when you add a question manually in QuestionPoint.
QuestionPoint does not send acknowledgement messages to the patron when you add a question manually because you probably acknowledged the question yourself when you received it.
However, QuestionPoint sends the following messages to the patron's e-mail address if you supply the address when you add the question. Your institution administrator can customize the messages (Administration > Institution > Settings > Custom Messages).
- The new account message, if the patron did not have a patron account
- The answer message, if you also supply an answer when you add the question
QuestionPoint creates an account for the patron if there was no account for the e-mail address that you supplied when you added the question.
QuestionPoint places the question in one of the patron account's question lists based on the status that you set when you added the question.
|if you choose this status||questionpoint places it in this question list in the patron account|