Why would I change the patron email address for a question or chat transcript?
You cannot send an answer or clarification request to a patron if the patron email address is not included or not correct in the Patron field on the Full Question page.
However, if you know the patron's correct email address, you can change the address so you can send messages to the patron.
When you change the patron email address, QuestionPoint creates a copy of the Full Question, except the new Full Question has the new patron email address, a new Question ID, and a note in the Question History describing the change. The new Full Question has the same status as the old one.
After you change the patron email address, you can send the answer or clarification request to the patron from the new Full Question. If the Full Question contains a chat transcript, you also send the transcript to the patron when you send an answer or clarification request.
How can I change the patron email address in a Full Question?
- Go to a Full Question that contains the patron email address that you want to change.
- Click Change Patron E-mail. QuestionPoint displays the Change Patron E-mail page.
- Type the patron's correct email address in the New E-mail Address box.
- Type it again in the Re-enter New E-mail Address box to verify it.
- (Optional) If you know the patron's name, you can type it in the New Patron Name box.
- If a patron account already exists for the correct email address, QuestionPoint uses the name associated with the patron account regardless of what you type.
- If there is no patron account for the correct address, QuestionPoint creates an account and associates the name that you type with it. If you do not type a name, QuestionPoint creates the account with no name associated with it.
- Select an Old Question button to specify the action that QuestionPoint will take on the old Full Question:
- Leave the old question unchanged, except to add a note in the Question History describing the change. (This is the default action.)
- Delete the old question to remove it from all question lists.
- Close the question to change its status to closed, move it to the Closed Questions list, and add a note in the Question History describing the change.
- (Optional) Type the reason for the address change in the Reason for change box.
Note: If you type a reason, QuestionPoint includes it in the note in the Question History.
- Click Change Patron E-mail. QuestionPoint displays the new Full Question with a confirmation message at the top.
Note: QuestionPoint does not send a message or chat transcript to the patron when you change the email address. You must send a message to the patron from the new Full Question. The Question History or chat transcript is included when you send a message. For more information, see Send an answer or Request clarification.