This service lets you chat with a librarian from your library or another library that is helping yours.
- If chat is not available now, you see information about service options. You may have the option to send your email address and question to your library so a librarian can respond later through email.
- If chat is available now, you type questions and messages in the bottom box.
- You press <Enter> or click the Send arrow to send your initial question or a message after the librarian responds. The Enter key cannot be used to create a line break. It will always immediately send whatever information you have typed into the chat box.
- Your library may require that you submit your email address in order to chat with a librarian. If your email address is required, you see a box to enter it when you send your first message. The librarian does not receive your message until you submit the address. Your library uses your email address only to send you a chat transcript and any additional information it finds for you after the chat.
- You can click the window icon in the upper-right corner to open a separate chat window so you can continue to chat if you decide to go to another web page.
- Each message that you and the librarian send is added to the transcript in the top box. The newest message appears at the bottom of the transcript.
- You can click on any URL in the transcript to open a new window containing the web page for the URL.
- If you request a transcript or provide your email address, the service sends the transcript to your email address when you end the chat.
Scroll the transcript on a mobile phone or tablet
On mobile devices, scroll bars do not appear and the content expands to fill the area. Use one finger to touch the transcript box and slide up or down to scroll the transcript only.
Control the sound on the Qwidget
After submitting a question in the Qwidget, you will hear a chime every time the system or the librarian sends you a message or a link. To control the volume of the chime or mute it on your desktop or laptop, use the System volume control or mute capability. To control the volume of the chime or silence it on your mobile device or tablet, use the volume up and down buttons on the device.
Request an email transcript
If your library requires your email address, you must enter it before you send your first message. Your library uses your email address only to send you a chat transcript and any additional information it finds for your after the chat.
If your library does not require your email address, you can provide it anytime after you send your first message if you want to receive a transcript. You can also choose to be anonymous.
During the chat, do the following to provide your email address and request a transcript. You can repeat these steps if you need to make changes.
- Click the envelope button.
- Enter your email address in the pop-up box.
- Select the box if you wish to be anonymous.
- Click Submit.
After the chat, do the following to provide your email address and request a transcript. You do not need to do this if you provided your address during the chat. You remain anonymous if you provide your address only after the chat.
- End the chat.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Click Email session transcripts.
- Enter your email address in the pop-up box and click OK.
Choose to be anonymous
If your library does not require your email address in order to chat with a librarian, you can provide it but choose to remain anonymous. The service sends the transcript to you but the librarian does not learn your email address and cannot provide additional information to you later.
If you do not choose to remain anonymous, the service sends the transcript and the librarian can send additional information to you later if necessary. The librarian would use your address only for that purpose.
End the chat
- Click X.
- Click OK to confirm.
- If you have not already requested an email transcript, click Email session transcripts and follow the instructions to provide your email address.
- If your library provides a survey link, you may choose to complete a survey.
- Click OK to refresh the screen and start a new session if you wish.
- If you do not click OK or leave the screen within two minutes, the screen will automatically refresh to enable a new session to begin.
Potential problems that might occur during the chat
Your communications connection with the librarian might stop working. Each time that you send or receive a message, the message should be added to the transcript. If you send a message but it does not appear in the transcript within 30 seconds, your connection may be lost. You may need to end your chat and start a new one.